01 Aug Individual Artist Bursary from Cork City Council
In 2018, I (Garry McCarthy) applied to the Cork City Council Arts Office for funding to help me to get professional training and to up-skill in the areas of singing, music theory/piano, drumming and DJing. My application was successful, so over the last year, I was able to work with other established artists/tutors working in Cork City: Ophelia McCabe (singer, rapper, performer), Rory McGovern (multi-instrumentalist & producer), Tomas Gall (drummer/percussionist) and Justin O’Donnell (DJ and producer).
These lessons/workshops took place between July 2018 and July 2019 at the Kabin Studio in Knocknaheeny, at my own residence in Cork City. For some of the lessons, young people from the workshops at the Kabin Studio got involved so they could get a glimpse into my own development as well as learning new skills and techniques for themselves.
Demo tracks and a new piece of music using the new skills were created as a result. Each of the 4 tutors got involved in the recording process to guide me as I was creating the music. This is currently being mixed and final touches are being added.
Since undertaking the training, I have taken on new projects and branched out into new areas of work including:
- Voice over work for a cartoon which is due to be aired on RTE Junior in October 2019.
- Writing and producing songs for a kids’ TV show commissioned by RTE Junior, also due to be aired in October 2019.
- Wrote and produced a song called “Young Offenders” which will be released in conjunction with the new series of the TV show with the same name.
- Currently co-writing and co-producing an EP, for a Dublin based hip hop artist.
- Performance at All Together Now Festival
The training has given me extra knowledge and confidence when:
- working with trained musicians and recording artists when doing recording sessions in my role as a producer.
- working with young people and in teaching settings.
- performing at gigs and workshops
- singing in front of workshop groups to get melodic ideas and harmonies across.
- using the new equipment that was granted / donated to the Kabin Studio over the last two years: DJ decks, MIDI keyboard and drum kit.
For more information on grants available from Cork City Council, visit this page: https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/arts-culture-heritage/arts-office/funding-opportunities1.html